Friday, August 2, 2013

Overcoming the Challenges for Those With Mood Disorders


Some common symptoms of those with mood disorders include being easily distracted, forgetting to complete tasks, the inability to focus, racing thoughts, and becoming easily irritable. These all cause problematic concerns when patients must go through the process of trial-and-error medications, managing the costs of mental healthcare treatment, and possibly fighting health insurance battles.

Trial-and-Error Medication Process

With the lack of scientific knowledge behind the true causes of some of these disorders, psychiatrists do not know exactly what part(s) of the brain are involved in each patient. So, it becomes a bit of a shot-gun approach to see which medications work and which ones do not work. This can be aggravating, in and of itself, and that alone can make you want to give up. I have been completely deflated because of it. So, I will describe my medication roller coaster ride as an example.

Once my initial diagnoses were complete, I was prescribed Lamitcal for BPII, and Vyvanse for ADHD. As with all medications, they come with side-effects. At first, I was doing well with both, along with no side-effects, but that changed. One of the side effects of Lamictal is skin rash, which happened to me once I reached a 150mg dosage. The second medication my psychiatrist prescribed was Abilify. One side-effect can be insomnia, which was the case for me. Even with my Ambien on board, it would still keep me up at night, throwing me into hypomania, which defeated the whole purpose of the medication. So, we tried a third medication called Saphris.

After being on Saphris for almost four months now, I have not had one hypomanic episode. So, this medication works and with no side-effects. But, the whole process took six months before finding the right medication.

Before finding Vyvanse for ADHD, I was on a drug called Focalin. This drug did not work for me at all. On the medication, I could not correctly organize my thoughts. My speech pattern was slowed, and sometimes I did not make much sense. That process took less time, but it was still a struggle. It was aggravating, and that alone can make you want to give up. In fact, it left me feeling completely deflated with severe depression. With mood disorder symptoms, your mindset is simply not well-suited for this trial-and-error process.

Managing the Costs of Mental Health Treatment

You cannot put a price on good health, but know that finding and maintaining good quality healthcare does cost money. Your psychiatrist appointments, therapy sessions, and medications all require money. Even if your insurance covers part of it, there are always some out-of-pocket expenses.

In my case, my health insurance plan covers most of my medication expenses and my co-pay for my psychiatric appointments is relatively low. However, my psychotherapy sessions are not covered by my insurance. I have to make sure each month that I set aside enough money to cover all the costs. Before giving into the medications, I drank heavily. While the money I save by not buying alcohol helps tremendously, I still have to be responsible and forward-thinking enough to set aside the right funds for proper mental healthcare.

Fighting Health Insurance Battles

Even if you find the right medications, your insurance company may deny coverage. This happened to me with Saphris. I was so angry and in such a state of confusion, that I experienced a very bad state of depression, one of my all-time lows. I even had suicidal thoughts, just because I did not want to be dealing with any or all of this anymore.

The only thing you can do is file an appeal, which normally starts with your psychiatrist. If that is unsuccessful, then the patient can file an appeal. This means filling out detailed paperwork and getting files from your doctor to finish the appeal. Once that is complete, you have to wait at least a month to hear a response, which can still be a denial.

My psychiatrist called the insurance company to file an appeal, and they denied her claim. As a patient, I filed an appeal as well. So far, my appeal has also been denied until I send in all my medical records, including those from my general practitioner. And then, they have to go over everything again before making a decision, which could still result in a denial.

Once I found the right medications for both disorders, my insurance company denied both. I have since won the battle with Vyvanse, but I am still waiting on their decision for Saphris. This is a maddening process that aggravates symptoms of irritability and depression.

I can go to an external review board in my state if my insurance company ends up denying Saphris. But, If the external review board also denies it, then there is no other alternative. I am hoping to hear from my insurance company soon and trying to prepare myself for another appeal process to the state. This long and detailed process is not well-suited for someone who suffers from the symptoms of mood disorders.

Advice for Managing it All

Find a good psychiatrist and therapist, and do not just take the first ones you find if you feel they are not strong advocates for all your concerns. As I mentioned before, my insurance does not cover my therapy sessions. However, I would never seek out another therapist. She provides many things to me that I would not try to change or even attempt to find in another therapist.

There may be things you need to give up in exchange for good mental healthcare and medications you are receiving. For example, I quit drinking, which was a huge expense every month when you add up the costs of all the drinks at home and out to dinner. It might be helpful for you to consider some things you can give up in exchange for better healthcare. Chances are, if you are suffering from a mood disorder, you are also engaging in some kind of substance abuse. Giving up the cost of that substance just might cover the cost of good, high-quality mental healthcare.

Realize that there is only so much your psychiatrist and therapist can do for you. Many of the struggles of lie in your own hands, including fighting the insurance battles. You have to be prepared to stand up for yourself even during times you feel completely deflated.

While the science to date has lagged in comparison to other psychological disorders, realize that progress is being made in the field to better understand and treat those of us with bipolar disorder. There is also the chance that other medications will become available in the near future for mood disorders as the result of current and future research. So, try to think that some hope may be on the horizon for better medications and possibly a cure.

http://fiskejorgensen.wix.com/livingwithbipolar





No comments:

Post a Comment