Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Genetic Testing


Genetic Testing

I was fortunate enough to have some genetic testing done through my psychiatrist. This was performed to see what specific medications my body responds to best and also how my body metabolizes medication. Fortunately, my doctor’s office was in a group for some trial studies, so I did not have to pay for this service. 

The results were of great value. For one, I found out that I am an “ultra-metabolizer”. This basically means that I need higher dosages of medication than your average person. So, when dosages of medications seem high, I understand why. My body just metabolizes medication quickly.

It also showed what medications I do not respond to well, such as Lexapro. My general practitioner had me on this common drug for depression, but I was able to get off of it, not only because I do not respond well to it, but because I now have other medications on board.

At least I have that report to help all my doctors and me know what medications my body will respond to better than others. And I also know that I will need higher dosages of medication than most people because of how fast my body metabolizes it. 

So, if you can have genetic testing done, I recommend it!

My new book is now available on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1489544658/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

No comments:

Post a Comment